D.D.A.P.S CLUB HISTORY from the beginning
The Society was formed on 9 April 1931 the name chosen was the Dartford Piscatorial Society.
In January 1932 the club's name was changed to Dartford & District Angling & Preservation Society.
At the time the club's home water was Ellingham's Ponds (now Brooklands Lakes).One of the founder members, Mr Ellingham from Bexleyheath's company was extracting gravel from the ponds at the time. During his lifetime fishing rights were given free to the club. Upon Mr Ellingham's death the lakes reverted to the control of Dartford Borough Council. The Society has leased the lakes from the Council ever since.
As DDAPS developed leases were taken out on lakes at Darenth (now Clearwater owned), Devon Road (now Leisure Sport's Sutton at Hone venue) as well as our current waters at Sutton at Hone and Horton Kirby. Sutton at Hone Lakes was purchased in 1965 with negotiations beginning in1959. Parts of the rivers Beult and lesser Tiese at Chainhurst were purchased in 1965 but the land was sold to the local farmer with the society retaining the fishing rights. Horton Kirby was purchased in 1971 and its current car park in 1978. The leases on both Darenth and Devon Road were lost when Leisure Sport Angling was set up by their owners. In addition the club now leases stretches of the river Medway at Postern Lane Tonbridge and River Beult at New Barn Farm. From a small beginning we now have around 2200 members including some 270 senior citizens.